Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Quick Side Track

Sorry to change topics, but I really wanted to share this.  I'll get back to the story with my next post.


This morning, March 23rd, at 10 a.m., I received word that one of the professors is not returning next year.  Normally, this kind of news wouldn't bother me.  However, to me, this isn't just a typical professor.  This is someone I have really come to admire and respect.  I have looked to this person numerous times for advice.  When I heard the news that he wasn't returning, my heart sank.

At the beginning of this semester, my microeconomics teacher asked the question, "Who is your favorite teacher/professor, and why?"  I immediately knew my answer, Professor Michael Cady.

I came to school my freshman year of college not wanting to take accounting.  I took an accounting class in high school and absolutely hated it.  I was not looking forward to a semester of accounting in college.  After the first day of class my freshman year, I knew I would love it!  My professor, Michael Cady, taught with such enthusiasm and passion.  He made accounting interesting which isn't easy to do.  He cared for the students and how they performed on each test.  He assigned a lot of homework, but he definitely had you prepared for the test.  After only a few weeks, he motivated me to switch my major from business management to accounting; which is still my major.

Professor Cady has become like a mentor to me.  I have asked his advice on school, golf, and faith.  We have had many conversations which have meant so much to me.

The past 18 months has made me realize that life isn't about pursuing your dreams, or making a lot of money, or being successful.  I have always had the dream of playing golf on the PGA Tour, and if that didn't work, then I had plans of becoming a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) where I would make as much money as possible.  When I reached the age of 65, I was going to retire from golf or accounting, and move to the Southeast (South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, or Alabama) with my beautiful wife.  We were going to buy a yacht with all the money we had saved.  Evenings would consist of taking the yacht out on the ocean and watch the sunset.  We would sip wine, and I would hold her in my arms as we watched another beautiful day come to an end.

Lately though, I have come to realize how selfish my dreams were.

I always told myself I would never get a twitter account.  My sister had a twitter account and I thought it was the most stupid thing ever.  About ten months ago I gave in.  The main reason I got a twitter was to keep up with my sister.  I never really talk to her over the phone, and facebook doesn't really allow me to see what she's doing throughout the day.  I just wanted to stay in touch with my sister.  I set up an account and started following those closest to me who had a twitter, my sister and Travis Hartley.  I also followed some of my favorite golfers like Davis Love III, Zach Johnson, and Rickie Fowler.  I immediately loved twitter.


Looking at tweets throughout the day became motivating for me.  I would see what the professional golfers were doing throughout their day.  I would see tweets like, "Just had a great workout, now off to the course for some practice."  When I saw these tweets, I would think, "Goodness, I need to work harder if I want to become a professional golfer."  Seeing their work ethic through what they tweeted motivated me to become a better golfer.


As I started following more golfers, I began to see the struggles professional golfers deal with.  I started following other Christian golfers like Aaron Baddeley, and Paul Stankowski.  I would see tweets that made me question if I really wanted to be a professional golfer.  One time Paul Stankowski tweeted this, "Can't wait for summer to come so @GinaStankowski (his wife) and the kiddos can travel with me. #BeingAwayIsGettingHarder"  Webb Simpson is another pro golfer I follow.  One of his tweets said, "Being up at 5:30am is a million times better when it's to be with your son, rather than going to tee it up. #fatherhood"  He also tweeted this once, "Two more days and I'm home!!!!  Missing momma (his wife) and James (his son)"  I began to think, "Is this what I want in the future?"


Last summer, when I began to see these tweets, I also heard the song, "Lead Me" by Sanctus Real.  I'm going to copy and paste the lyrics because they are so good...


I look around and see my wonderful life
Almost perfect from the outside
In picture frames I see my beautiful wife
Always smiling
But on the inside, I can hear her saying...

“Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, what about us?

Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone”

I see their faces, look in their innocent eyes
They're just children from the outside
I'm working hard, I tell myself they'll be fine
They're independent
But on the inside, I can hear them saying...


“Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, but what about us?

Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone”

So Father, give me the strength
To be everything I'm called to be
Oh, Father, show me the way
To lead them
Won't You lead me?

To lead them with strong hands
To stand up when they can't
Don't want to leave them hungry for love,
Chasing things that I could give up

I'll show them I'm willing to fight
And give them the best of my life
So we can call this our home
Lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone

Father, lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone



When I heard this song it started to become clear that life isn't about chasing dreams.  I didn't want my own selfish desires getting in the way of providing and being there for my family.


First, life is about serving God.  In Matthew 28, Jesus is talking to his disciples.  Verses 18-20 say this, "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'"


Second, life is about serving others.  In John 13:34, Jesus says this to his disciples, "A new command I give you: Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another."


I love the part where Jesus says, "As I have loved you, so you must love one another."  How did Jesus love his disciples?  Jesus served, witnessed, and gave up His life for the sake of others.  This is love.  Paul also does a great job of describing love in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.


Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad if someone plays a professional sport.  I think God blesses people with the ability to do things, but they are intended to be for HIS glory, not ours. If God's plans for me are to play professional golf, then great, I'll serve Him through golf and use the money to help others.  If His plans for me are to be a CPA, then great, I'll be a witness in the business world, and still use the money to help others.


My whole point is that we aren't here for self fame or success.  We are here on earth to love/serve God, and love/serve others.  How does this tie in with my professor?  I'll explain.


When I heard the news this morning that he isn't going to return next semester, I was really disappointed.  He is such a great teacher, and I was looking forward to taking some more classes that he teaches.  After my 10 a.m. class got over, I sat outside the class he was teaching to see if what I heard was true.  When the class got out, I went in to talk to him.  I asked him if he was leaving after this year and he said yes.  He then took the time to explain why.


He told me that his decision to leave had nothing to do with not liking where he was.  He said he loves teaching and being in the classroom with the students.  After committing it to prayer, he said he knew he had to do what's best for his family.  He said if he continued to teach, he would have to get his doctorate which would require him to travel quite a bit over the next few years.  He said he didn't want to do that to his family.  He wanted to be with his wife and kids.  To do this, he is taking another job that will allow him to be with his family more.


He also told me this, he said we don't always know what God is up to.  It is our responsibility to be obedient to where he calls us.  It doesn't always make sense, and everything doesn't always work out the way we think it will, but God is in control.  We are to be faithful and obedient to God without questioning Him.


Professor Cady has been a great example to me of what it means to follow Christ and consider others better than yourselves.  He his putting God first, and then considering the needs of his family.  I am disappointed that Professor Cady will no longer be teaching at OC, but I know he is doing the right thing.  Professor Cady is a great example to me of what it means to follow Christ.


Love/serve God, and love/serve others.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that your favorite professor is leaving, but that is some wonderful advice. Thanks for sharing Kyle, keep up the good work!
    By the way, judging by his name, you and your professor would make a great team if God leads you down the PGA route. ;)

    - O'doyal Rules

    ReplyDelete